Puy Lentils, the perfect match, guaranteed
Don't waste anymore time
If you never tried Puy lentils, waist no more time! They’re often sold as French green lentils, either way, go and get some, follow this easy recipe and enjoy! If you eat meat or fish, this salad can be a perfect match with your dish.
Puy lentils have a fantastic taste, a bit nutty and earthy and they stay kind of crunchy after cooking. I like to think I can detect the taste of the South-French volcanic soil where they’re from.
Before you wash and cook them, just take a brief moment to really see them: as each small lentil is marbled with light, deep green and dark blue colours plus a touch of light brown/orange colour on the top – and I bet there are no two the same.
Designation of Origin
Puy Lentil was the first dried vegetable to be recognized as a Designation of Origin; how cool is that! which means the lentils must be grown, harvested and packed in the region of Puy and the Designation of Origin status also means the farmers can’t use pesticides
You can buy ‘French green lentils’ which means the lentils were grown outside of Puy region, likely in North America or Italy but they are still be firm in texture and nutty in flavour.
A couple of tips
Before you crack on with the recipe here are a couple of tips:
- Using bay leaves with lentils is optional but Bay leaves are great to cook with lentils, a match made in Mediterranean kitchen heaven
- Always put the dressing on the lentils while they are still hot/warm to absorb the flavour of it.
250g Puy Lentils (washed)
3-5 dried bay leaves - optional
1 red onion or 4 spring onions (chopped)
4 tomatoes (chopped)
1 bunch of fresh coriander (chopped)
1 bunch of fresh parsley (chopped) – optional
rocket salad or spinach leaves - optional
Half cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbls of Dijon mustard
¼ cup of Cider Vinegar
· Put the lentils in cold water with the bay leaves, bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes (until just cooked with a little bite). Drain.
· Whisk the dressing together and put it on the drained and still warm lentils. Mix it gently.
· Add all the other salad ingredients, give a little stir. Job done, serve and enjoy!